「Umeboshi」has played a useful part in various activities in Japan from the ancient times. In this article, we would like to talk about the history and effects related to Umeboshi.
The History of【Umeboshi】
- About 2000 years ago it was written in the Pharmacology Manual of China that the Umeboshi(Plum) tree has already existed back then. The Plum tree actually originated in China.
- About 1500 years ago the Plum was used as an Ubai Medicine in China that gradually spread in other countries..
- From the late 7th century to the late 8th century became an ornamental symbol. In fact, there were various songs in the (Manyoshu 万葉集) that was written about plums.
- In the Mid- Heian Period, based on Japan’s oldest medical book 「Ishinpo 医心方」, the plum was eaten as an Umeboshi for medical purposes. Later on, we will write further details about its effects.
- In the Kamakura Period, it is said that the Umeboshi was always in the menu of the meal of the General. In the Samurai Society, this act of kindness is called 「椀飯 Ouban」and the statement, 「椀飯振舞 Ouban Behavior」became a famous word in this period.
- From Muromachi Period~ Senkoku Period the Umeboshi was eaten by the samurais as medicine. The umeboshi is rich with nutrients and can be preserved, and so this convenient meal spread nationwide.
- In the Edo Period, the Umeboshi was eaten by common people. Fukucha; a symbol of luck, also started in this period. Kishu Plum also became famous in this period. The Umeboshi is eaten today the way it was eaten in this period.
- In the Meiji Period, the cholera occurred in Wakayama, which gave a re-recognition to Umeboshi’s medical role.
- In the Showa Period, the Minamidaka Ume was made in Wakayama. In the year 35 of Meiji Period, this plum was discovered by Takada Sadasugu, so the name was originally called the「Takada Plum」. This plum was called Minamidaka Ume in the Showa Period. This plum was known to have a small seed and has a sweet flavor like a fruits. It was the best brand of plum then.
What Are the Effects?
The Umeboshi is rich with「Minerals・Calcium・Iron and Citric Acid」. Here are the effects of Umeboshi.
- Waste Product is less likely to accumulate
- Can Recover Fatigue
- Can increase one’s immunity
- Could Prevent Cancer
By eating an Umeboshi, the blood flow will also smoothen. These were the top effects of the Umeboshi. Moreover, it can decompose the lactic acid that causes stiff shoulders it is helpful to ease one’s fatigue.
Many says that Umeboshi is quite sour and not so many foreign people eat this food. Also, many post their reactions when eating an Umeboshi in YouTube. Among them said that when you put the Umeboshi on top of the rice, it reminds them of the Japanese flag.
Ume has existed from the ancient times and was used as medicine, ornament and food. It was a useful item from the old period up to this day. The Ume has not yet spread worldwide, however, we are looking forward to it spreading in the near future!