“Archery” requires martial arts and technology from ancient times in Japan. The history goes back to the old Paleolithic age. We will introduce information about the history and rule of “Archery” at this time.
- Paleolithic Period- Bows were born all over the world and used as a tool to capture animals. A long bow is drawn on the bronze pottery of this era, and it is clear that bow and arrow were already used in Japan.
- Kamakura Period- Archery art has come to be regarded as important in martial arts, and it has been recorded in the history book “Azumagakeko” that dog pursuits and raids were conducted to strengthen the mind and body. “※ Dog follow-up (Inuoumono): A project to shoot a dog running while riding a horse. Kasagake: a project to shoot a distant target”
- Muromachi Period- With the introduction of guns, archery as a war weapon is diminishing. Bow art for the purpose of mind and body training developed further in. Mr. Odawara serves as a master of the archery law until the Tokugawa period.
- Edo Period- Archery for the purpose of physical and mental discipline has been established, and it was popular among samurais.
- Meiji Period- The “Dainihon Butokukai” was established in Kyoto, and archery was promoted as a martial arts in Japan.
- Taisho~Showa Period- Archery was taught into school education. During this period, the shooting method used by the Honda Toshizane clan became popular, and the Honda style was born.
- 1945- Although martial arts classes are banned, martial arts classes at schools are permitted in 1951. The educational and physical significance of archery was recognized in 1967, and it was adopted as the regular course of the school and leads to the present.
Type of Competition
- Close Competition：It is an event that uses 28m in a distance and 36cm in target diameter in a form like a star.
- Distant competition：It is an event that uses 60m in a distance, 100 cm in a target diameter, or in a scoring rule.
How To Win
- Center System Type：Judge criteria are only 2 patterns of “hit” and “not hit”, and the outcome is decided by the number of arrows hit. It will be treated the same wherever you hit the target.
- Point Type：They use color. The more you get to the center of the score, the higher the score, and the outcome is decided. The color is from the center “10 points of yellow (10cm radius), 9 points of red (10cm width), 7 points of blue (10cm width), 5 points of black (10cm width), 3 points of white (10cm width)”.
- Scoring System Type：Not only during the match but also by the judges from the act and form, the outcome is decided. A scoring system is adopted at the All Japan Men’s Women’s Archery Championships.
- Tied hair
- No pierce
- No touching of others bow
- No running while in uniform
- Checking the items used before using。
- No trespassing in the game floor except for players and judges
- Be careful always while entering the dome
The competition population of the archery is said to be about 130,000 in Japan. Among them, about 60% were occupied by small, middle, and high school students, and it was found that the archery was popular with younger generations. The competition population overseas seems to be still small with about 4,500 people. Let’s learn more about these fantastic sports and enjoy the Olympics in the future.