The Soba Noodles is a type of noodle that screams Japanese Culture! However, there are only a few people who can truly explain what a soba noodles is. In this article, we would like to introduce the Origin, Knowledge and How to Eat the Soba Noodles!
The History of Soba Noodles
The Soba Noodles has a long history and it started for more than 9000 years ago. The pollen of Soba was founded 9300 years ago in the Takachi Prefecture. Before the Nara Period, people ate the Soba in its powder form. In the Heian Period, Japanese poems about the Soba was also written. The fame of the Soba Noodles grew when it entered the Kamakura Period because the spread of the millstone enabled the mass production of the Soba Powder. The shape of today’s Soba Noodles spread throughout Japan during the Muromachi Period. In the Edo Period, the Soba Noodles spread among the commoners. The Soba Noodles back then was boiled and steamed like today. The 100% Soba powder would easily break off and so it was difficult to make in the old days.
The Types of Soba Noodles
The Soba Noodles is made from Buckwheat Flour, Tie and Water. The Tie used to make Soba is a flour with various types and names depending on its ration. If the flour is 0 % and the Buckwheat Flour is 100 %, a division of 80%, 70%, 60% Buckwheat will be made. There are other Ties other than Flour. There is the marine alga, mugwort, eggs, yam and konnyaku. Also, there are Gotochi Soba Noodles depending on a region, such as the Wanko Soba of Iwate Prefecture, the Shinsu Soba of Nagano Prefecture and the kawara Soba of Yamaguchi Prefecture.
Recommended Way of Eating
When eating Soba Noodles, there are no manners existing in the first place. So, from now, we would like to introduce recommended ways to eat the Soba Noodles.
Zaru Soba and Mori Soba
- When you start eating the Soba Noodles, try to eat only the noodles first and not to dip it into the sauce. By doing this, you will be able to taste the flavor of the Soba Noodles itself.
- It is also better not to melt the wasabi in the sauce. Instead. just take a little amount with the tip of your chopsticks and eat the noodles.
- There are also no onions when your receive the dish. You can add some later to change and enjoy a different flavor!
- Only dip the 1/4 of the noodles to the sauce and sip it from the sauce bowl. If you dip all of the noodles, the flavor will be too strong. After eating, do not stay too much long in the shop and leave as soon as possible to open seats for other customers.
- The Soba Water is extremely healthy so it is recommended to drink it.
Why It Is Popular Overseas
The biggest reason to why the Soba Noodles are very popular overseas is because it is similar the cold ramen of Korea, however, without the soup and only the cold noodles. This type of noodles is rare so it is no wonder why people are talking about it. Moreover, the consumption of the Soba Noodles are unexpectedly higher in the overseas. The ranks are 1. Russia 2. China 3.Ukraine and Japan is in the 10th place.
The Soba Noodles are famous worldwide and has many ways people can eat it. By all means, we hope that you learned basic knowledge’s about Soba Noodles by reading this article and hope that you’ll try it someday!